Skip to main content

Some Place I Used to Live

 

Someplace I used to live

In the end we left because the bathroom was about to collapse into the garage. That wouldn't be good, and it wasn't my garage. It was the neighbor's garage and one day he showed me how the ceiling of his garage showed clear signs of imminently falling on his car, his bike, or his head. He was concerned.

Other than that, we liked the apartment on Wedgewood, even though it was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Even though the steps up to the second floor were rickety. Even though the kitchen appliances were right out of the 1980's and small. It was our place and that mattered.

We weren't exactly chased out of the previous place -- a beautiful and spacious home in Gunbarrel. But we had to do something. In the end, after living thru the whole move, I know that I should have talked about it more. There were options to discuss. Maybe it wasn't necessary for both of us to move. Maybe I could have subsidized the rent for a while (afterall, I did pay double rent for about six months to ease my guilt about leaving, guilt that should have told me I shouldn't be going, but I did...)

My office was set up in the back of the living room. I had my books, a desk, and my laptop. It got me started (again) in my business of delivering training and eventually I was able to leave my job at the grocery store.

It was some place that I used to live, when I lived thru the second biggest change of my life.

-- doug smith


Picture This:

1. Find a random picture

2. Write without stopping for five minutes only.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile

A smile can stop ten sad thoughts from filling your mind.  -- doug smith 1.  I started to type "smile" in the title and my fingers somehow typed "Smith" instead. That makes me smile... 2. Yes, this is related to improv. When we help other people smile we're building some part of a better world. What fun! 3. See how powerful improv can be? What if, in creating something new, we used that same quote but featured this picture: That changes things, right? Or we could get even darker: Because improv is not all comedy, or does not NEED to be all comedy or sunny and light. Although, sunny and light is nice so here's another nice smile for you. Now, go make someone (and yourself) happy: smile!

Scene Prompt: Defend

Improv level: Advanced If the essence of drama is conflict, this challenge will help you build some nuance into your dramatic scene work while also helping you avoid the temptation of going for the laugh. Improv is more than comedy, and comedy is funnier when you don't play it for the laugh. Make it real. Here's the challenge: Create a scene based on this quote -- Defend to stabilize, even neutralize, but not to destroy. It's your theme. It's your structure. It's your turn... -- doug smith

Scene Prompt: Forgiveness

Build a scene inspired by this quote: If forgiveness was easy we would never hesitate to forgive. Key questions include: What's the conflict? What do your characters want? Where are you? No need to overcomplicate the scene. Simply supply a need for forgiveness and the obstacle that makes it hard to forgive. -- doug smith